Pages

Thursday 3 March 2011

What is it?

An object? A memory? A possession? A reminder of a time when things were different?

What if it's more than that? What if in the thin gold band there is the reassurance of something to hold on to? In the icy stones, carefully set, there is the promise of commitment and unconditional love? What if in the unassuming amethyst placed centrally there is the certainty of who I am and where I come from?

It's more than just a ring, it was a gift to me that meant something undeniable. It meant that, although the person presenting it to me may not always be there, they loved me and they wanted to be something constant in my life: something physical.

I cannot deny that it is not something I always wear and it's certainly not something that's with me all of the time but I know where it is. I keep it safe. I suppose it’s just like the person who gave it to me; they aren't always there but I know where they are if I need them, I know they'll be there.

In terms of design, it is simplistic, childlike but elegant. Each stone moulded carefully so that, when brought together, the result is a flower. Is it predictable to compare this to meeting with the person who gave it to me? Although our time together is evanescent at least it happens; at least we have time together even if the miles of motorway spread between us.

So effectively it's not just a ring. It's a symbol of love and the determination to be in someone’s life despite the difficulties. Isn't it?

7 comments:

James Michie said...

Great writing Toria, particularly your use of punctuation to structure the piece. I really enjoyed the fourth paragraph where you compared the ring itself to the situation with the person who gave it to you. This added extra depth.

I'm not sure about the line: "In the icy stones..." The word "icy" does not seam to fit with the tone of the piece, you may want to consider changing it. It feels to cold, if you will excuse the pun?

Mr. M.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this-it is a really interesting and well written description. The repeated use of questioning really provokes the reader to think about the significance of the object and is effective in evoking powerful feelings.

There are times when the sentence structure and punctuation really add to the tone of the piece but I think there are a few more times where perhaps some greater variety of punctuation such as semi-colons might add emphasis to some of your phrases-perhaps towards the end of the fifth paragraph?

Unknown said...

Beautiful Toria - this almost had me in tears! Miss O'Reilly

James Michie said...

Forgot to mention that I love the blog theme you have chosen!

Mr. M.

Mr Harcombe said...

I was very impressed with the tone of the piece. I really like the use of questioning to probe your own thoughts and the parallels you drew between the ring and the giver, although I didn't quite follow the link from the design to your SO.

All in all, very impressed.

-- MrHarcombe

Sarover said...

I really like the way you start your writing with the questions as this engages with the audience and gets them thinking and the punctuation adds to the tone which is consistant throughout :)
This sentence is really good the vocabulary and punctuation stands out: "Although our time together is evanescent at least it happens; at least we have time together..."
Maybe a wider range of vocab could improve this piece?

Toria said...

This is really beautiful writing and I love how you have compared it to your Dad, it's really touching!

It's amazing and I can't find any improvements to comment on but I do agree with Mr Michie when he said about the use of the word 'Icy', it just doesn't seem to fit!

Toria